Do you have a cake or a pie recipe that you can recite even if woken up from your sleep? Not because it is very simple but because it is so tasty and you make it so many times. The apple pie recipe below is one you might find so delicious that you will make it again and again. It takes some time to prepare it, but you will find that the results are worth it.
For the cake
- 500 g flour
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 1 package baking powder
- 150 g sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 250 g margarine or butter
- 1 egg
- Enough sour cream to make the dough pasty
For the filling
- 1.5 kg sourish apples
- 200 g sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 handful cream of wheat
- 1 egg yolk for the top
1. Measure the dry ingredients and mix them well.
2. Crumble in the margarine or the butter.
3. Add the egg and enough sour cream to make a dough. The amount of sour cream you need depends on the temperature of the kitchen and the quality of the flower.
4. When the dough is ready, cover it and place in the fridge.
5. Prepare the filling. Peel the apples and grate them. Once you’re done, you can take the dough out from the fridge. Turn on the oven to 180°C with the fan on.
6. Divide the dough into two parts, take a rolling pin and spread out one part onto a wooden board to the size of the baking pan you will use. Roll the dough on the rolling pin and move it to the pan so it covers the surface of the pan entirely.
7. Sprinkle the cream of wheat evenly onto the dough so it can soak up the juice of the apples during baking.
8. Squeeze the juice out of the grated apples and then spread them evenly onto the sheet of dough.
9. Sprinkle the sugar and the cinnamon evenly on the apples.
10. Spread out the second half of the dough and cover the layer of apples. Use a fork to stab the top of the pie so the steam can escape. Spread the egg yolk evenly on top of the pie.
11. Bake the pie for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Allow the pie to cool slightly and then slice it up.