Propolis is a unique natural product obtained from the mixture of digestive enzymes of bees and resinous substances of plants. Propolis is necessary for bees to protect and disinfect beehives and for people to heal various infections.
Even though propolis is has been known for a long time, modern medicine keeps discovering more and more of its amazing properties. Propolis can be used in many ways: it can be simply chewed, added to milk or other drinks, or used as an alcohol-based tincture.
When used internally, propolis contributes to the strengthening of the immune system, reduces inflammatory processes and acts as an antioxidant. Used externally, it can serve many more purposes: heals wounds, regenerates the skin, reduces pains and aches and kills fungi.
Physicians prescribe this product to treat many health issues such as tonsillitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, otitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, viral infections, gynecological illnesses and stomach ulcers. Most times a tincture of 10% concentration is used for the above purposes. The product is available in pharmacies, or it can be prepared at home.
How to use propolis tincture
1. In case of pharyngitis or tonsillitis, rinse your throat with propolis tincture and physiological serum mixed at 1:10 ratio.
2. Use the same mixture to rinse the oral cavity in case of toothaches or abscesses.
3. In case of sinusitis, use several drops of tincture in the nostrils and then rinse your nose.
4. In case of otitis, insert into your ear a piece of cotton dipped in propolis solution. If you treat a child, dilute the solution with warm boiled water in 1:1 ratio. Also, you may use two drops of 5% tincture until complete healing.
5. Inhalation with propolis tincture (1 drop tincture to 5 mL physiological serum) can be used to treat respiratory illnesses.
6. A remedy to strengthen the immune system: dilute 15–30 drops of propolis tincture in a tablespoon of milk and drink 30 minutes before main meals.
7. For treating stomach affections, dilute 15–20 drops of propolis tincture in 100 mL water and drink 30 minutes before main meals.
8. To treat diseases of the skin, wounds, herpes, fungi of the feet and nails and dandruff use undiluted tincture. Apply pieces of cotton or compresses dipped in tincture on the affected areas.
Even though propolis is a unique and very efficient medication, consult your physician before starting a treatment.
Propolis is not recommended to persons who are allergic to bee products. Similarly, children, pregnant women and drivers should use it with caution; internal use of the tincture based on alcohol is prohibited. Because of a possibility of allergic reactions, the use of propolis is not recommended to children under three years of age.