Very few people know that not only onions but also onion skins are very useful for the body. Onion skins contain an antioxidant called quercetin that has anti-allergic properties. Research has proved the fact that regular consumption of onions contributes to the strengthening of the cardiovascular system and reduces the risk of brain hemorrhage and heart attacks.
Possible uses of onion skins
1. Vegetable soup cooked with unpeeled onions is much tastier and healthier. The soup will have a lovely color and will be full of micro-elements that according to studies are found in higher quantity in the onion skins than in the onions themselves.
2. If you have noticed that your houseplants don’t look very healthy, prepare an infusion from onion skins and water your plants from time to time with the infusion.
3. Onion skin infusion is a very efficient remedy against muscular cramps. Place a teaspoon of skins into a cup of hot water and soak 10 minutes. Drink approximately 200 mL of the infusion every evening.
4. Onion skins make a very healthy reddish-purplish hair dye, and the results are beautiful.
5. If you like to bake your own bread, use 1 teaspoon of ground onion skins in the dough. Your bread will taste much better.
6. Onion skins are very useful in treating skin diseases such as dermatitis, boils and calluses. Make an ointment from onion skins and any kind of fat, mixing the ingredients in 2:3 ratio. Apply the ointment on the problem areas twice a day.