This is a delicious vegetable cracker recipe, with a genuine Hungarian-style flavoring.
- 300 g carrots
- 1 red onion
- 150 g celeriac with its juice added
- 1 clove garlic
- 50 g paprika
- 50 g dried or fresh tomatoes
- 150 g ground flax seeds
- 50 g soaked sunflower kernels
- Some green herb e.g. chives
1. Chop the vegetables.
2. Add the ground flax and sunflower seeds to the vegetables, and salt the vegetable mixture lightly.
3. Spread the vegetables onto an approximately 35×35 cm tray and dry them in a dehydrator or in the oven.
Drying in the oven
It is important to leave the oven door slightly ajar, so the steam can escape. Dry the vegetables at 60-70 °C for an hour, and then reduce the heat to 50 °C for the next hour. After 1 hour, keep drying at 40 °C, until the vegetables are completely dry. The total drying time should be between 10-14 hours.
Drying in the dehydrator
Start at a higher temperature, and then reduce the heat to 43 °C. After 3 hours, place another tray onto the vegetables and flip them over. With a cookie cutter, shape the crackers, so it’s easier to break them once they are dry.
You can make crackers with two different textures:
1. The vegetables can be pureed; in this case, the flax seeds don’t need to be ground.
2. The vegetables can be chopped; if doing so, you will need ground flax seeds.