Gluten-free diets are a part of those persons’ lifestyle who have been discovered to suffer from gluten intolerance. Gluten is a protein found in most cereals, but being intolerant to it doesn’t mean that one has to resign to eating wheat-based foods such as bread, biscuits, cookies and other goodies. Instead, you can make these types of foods by using gluten-free flour and a few tricks that will help you make your food delicious.
1. First of all, in order to make dough softer, knead or mix the dough for a longer time than usual, so more air bubbles get trapped in and the dough can rise easier during baking. This method is necessary if you use any kind of gluten-free flour.
2. Second, use a mixture of allowed types of flour rather than just one kind such as millet, buckwheat, chickpeas, amaranth, almond flour; add nuts and other oily seeds to obtain tastier food.
3. To make moist cakes and cookies, use quality wet ingredients such as apple sauce or apple puree. If you make your own, make sure not to add too much sugar, as apples are usually sweet enough by themselves. Apples contain pectin, which will help hold cakes together. You may also use butter or oil for the same purpose: vegetable fat will hold dry ingredients together and will make the dough fluffy and moist.
4. Use more eggs than the number asked for in recipes. Eggs are essential to add volume and protein to dough. Instead of 100 ml water or other liquid ingredient, use an egg white or a whole egg.
5. Mix all ingredients together in one bowl – that is, don’t begin with mixing dry and wet ingredients separately. This way, you will obtain lighter and finer dough. Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature and use a mixer or a blender to vigorously mix the ingredients, in order to incorporate more air, which will help activate baking powder for extra volume.