We all know that antioxidants are very important in maintaining health. In fact, antioxidants are the most important in preventing diseases, even including cancer. Goji berries, Lycium barbarum or Lycium Chinense by their scientific name, are very rich in antioxidants.
Goji berries are grown in and around China and in Europe. They are used in traditional Chinese medicine fresh, dried or in juices.
Here are some uses for goji berries:
1. Goji berries are especially rich in two kinds of antioxidants: carotenoids and zeaxanthin. Carotenoids are very helpful in protecting the retina and improving eyesight in persons over 65 years of age.
2. Goji berries are also a good choice for protecting the liver and the kidneys.
3. A very important benefit of this fruit is that they strengthen the immune system and help maintaining health.
4. Polysaccharides found in goji berries do miracles for the health of the hypophysic gland and they stimulate the production of growth hormones. These hormones have a role in reversing the signs of aging, making us look and feel better.
5. Goji berries have an increased capacity of absorbing free radicals, by which they prevent the oxidizing process and they maintain the health of the cells, thus preventing them from aging.
6. Goji berries prevent states of exhaustion and fatigue, very often encountered in modern life. Goji berries also cure migraines and insomnia.
7. Research has shown that goji berries are very efficient in increasing fertility and improving the sexual function, especially in men.
8. Goji berries improve blood circulation and they increase longevity.
9. Due to their high vitamin and mineral content, goji berries reduce arterial tension and cholesterol levels. Some claim that these berries prevent cancer, although this claim hasn’t been proved scientifically.
10. Those persons who exercise often consume goji berries regularly, as they help losing weight and toning the body.
Goji berries may be consumed in various ways. They can be eaten as a snack or with cereals or yogurt for breakfast. Goji is also available as juice.