Pumpkin seeds are the only alkaline pH value seeds in the world. As our diet today is mostly composed of acidic foods, it is essential to consume pumpkin seeds. Due to their great flavor, these seemingly ordinary seeds are used in many recipes.
After soaking for six hours, pumpkin seeds become well-digestible. Pumpkin seeds are one of the few foods whose nutritional value increases during the digestion process. Their calorie content is high: 100 grams of pumpkin seeds contain approximately 560 calories.
Interesting facts about pumpkin seeds
- In Mexico, pumpkin seeds were known and well-liked seven thousand years ago.
- Pumpkin seeds are full of minerals including phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, iron and copper. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of vitamins B, K, and E.
- Pumpkin seeds contain phytosterols, which help to restore optimal cholesterol levels.
- A pumpkin seed cure (80 to 90 raw pumpkin seeds every day for one month) regenerates the heart muscles.
- The so-called L-tryptophan found in pumpkin seeds promotes good sleep and reduces depression.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc, so they help in the treatment of skin disorders such as dandruff and boils. Eating 20 raw pumpkin seeds per day before lunch provides the body with the necessary daily dose of zinc.
- Pumpkin seeds are the most alkaline seeds on Earth.
- Pumpkin seeds play an important role in preventing the formation of kidney stones.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in protein: 100 grams of seeds contain 30 grams of protein.
- Pumpkin seeds reduce inflammation in the body without causing any side effects typical to many kinds of medications.
- In rural life, pumpkin seeds are used to eliminate tapeworms and parasites.
- Pumpkin seeds are good for the prostate! They alleviate difficult urination and prostate enlargement as well. Grind 2 tablespoons of shelled pumpkin seeds and cook them in a cup of water for 15 minutes. Strain and sip slowly. Consume the infusion three times a day until the symptoms subside.
- Pumpkin seeds are an excellent remedy for persons suffering from gout, as they help eliminating uric acid accumulated in the body. Measure 6 tablespoons of crushed pumpkin seeds into a clay dish and pour over 3 cups of boiling water to obtain a daily dose. Filter the resulting infusion and consume before main meals for one month. The treatment will relieve the pain.
- The high zinc, magnesium and phosphorus content of pumpkin seeds will curb the amount of fat stored in the blood, regulates hormonal balance in women and increases fertility.
Central European cuisine is distinguished by using lots of pumpkin seed oil. The Austrians, for example, use and produce plenty of pumpkin seed oil. Cold pressing is the key to obtaining healthy oil, both for physiological and medical purposes.
Pumpkin seed oil is made from cold-pressing shelled pumpkin seeds. As no high temperatures are used in making the oil, unsaturated fatty acids and vitamins remain intact, and the rich and valuable content of active ingredients in pumpkin seeds is preserved. After the oil is pressed out from the seeds, the dry seed cakes can be grated into bread dough, made into special breadcrumbs for fried meat, or used as animal feed, fish bait and so on.