The golden milk is a wonderful drink with exceptional benefits. The most important ingredient in this recipe is turmeric, whose man benefits are proven by an ever increasing number of studies.
Turmeric contains curcuma, a polyphenol identified as the active component that boasts with 150 actual medicinal effects, such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogen properties.
- Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic and painkiller
- Strengthens the immune system
- Helps maintain the level of good cholesterol
- Improves digestion
- Detoxifies the liver
- Regulates metabolism and body weight
- Regulates blood pressure
- Improves memory and brain function
- Effective against neurological disturbances
- Regulates triglyceride levels
According to studies, 90% of curcuma taken orally is not absorbed. However, if we add black pepper to curcuma, a thousand-fold increase can be achieved in the absorption of curcuma, due to a compound of black pepper called piperine.
To achieve the effect described above, here’s an excellent recipe called golden milk.
First step – making curcuma paste
- ¼ cup curcuma powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup distilled water
Mix well the ingredients in a small pan. Cook the mixture at medium high heat until it turns into a paste. The process won’t take long, so don’t stop stirring. Allow the mixture to cool down and keep in in a jar in the fridge.
Second step – making golden milk
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or almond oil, olive oil…)
- ¼ teaspoon or more curcuma paste
In a pan, mix all ingredients except for the honey. Heat the mixture over medium heat. Stir in constantly, and don’t allow it to boil up. Add honey to taste. Serve the milk chilled, decorated with cinnamon and fruit slices.