Ancient Greeks and Romans appreciated lavender for its fragrance and purifying properties. This herb was added to baths as a remedy for fatigue. Lavender was also used to treat infections, and Romans used lavender essential oil as protection from epidemics. In popular medicine, alcohol preparations containing lavender oil were used to treat migraines, neurosis, rheumatism and renal affections. For many centuries, lavender was the main remedy to treat myalgia and toothaches.
Let’s discover how you can use lavender essential oil.
1. Respiratory illnesses, insomnia, tobacco smoke inhalation – add 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil in the aromatherapy diffuser. Also, you may add five drops to your bathwater or massage with a mixture made from five drops of lavender essential oil and 10 mL jojoba or argan oil. Aromatherapy should be used twice a day for 15–20 minutes, for three weeks.
2. Protection from insects – apply 2-3 drops of lavender oil on a paper towel.
3. Enriching cosmetic products – add 5 drops of lavender oil to 10 g facial cream.
4. Mycotic affections of the nails – add a tablespoon of lavender essential oil and five drops of tea tree essential oil to five liters lukewarm water. Bathe your feet every day for 10–15 minutes before bedtime. After the bath remove the hardened skin and apply a natural hydrating cream.
5. Cardiac arrhythmia – add two drops of lavender oil in the aromatherapy diffuser along with two drops of Ylang-Ylang oil. Inhale twice a day for three weeks. Repeat the therapy after a week of break.
6. Rheumatoid arthritis – add a drop of lavender oil to a natural cream with savory. Treat the affected areas twice or three times a day.
7. Atherosclerosis and cardiac ischemia – add five drops of lavender essential oil to your bathwater and take a 10–15 minute bath every day for two weeks.
8. Post operatory scars – mix a tablespoon of cocoa butter, two drops of tea tree oil and two drops of lavender oil. Apply on the scars twice a day for a week.
9. Emotional imbalance – add two drops of lavender essential oil and two drops of lemon essential oil in the aromatherapy diffuser. To relieve stress, add two drops of Ylang-Ylang essential oil as well. Inhale for 10–20 minutes; repeat the treatment twice a day for 10–20 minutes.
10. Pregnancy – add two drops of lavender essential oil in the aromatherapy diffuser for every five square meter of the room. Inhale for 15–20 minutes twice a day for three weeks. The treatment will alleviate fear from childbirth.
11. Premenstrual syndrome – add five drops of lavender oil to your bathwater. Take a bath 10–15 times for 15-20 minutes, for 15 days. After this period, take one or two lavender oil baths per week.
12. Primary infertility – add two drops each of jasmine, sage and lavender oils in the aromatherapy diffuser. Inhale for 15-20 minutes twice a day for two weeks. Take a break for a week and then repeat the treatment.
13. Menopause – add five drops of lavender essential oil to lukewarm bath water and take 10–15 minute baths once a day. After this period, take one or two baths per week.
14. Parodontosis – rinse your mouth with a mixture made from one drop lavender essential oil, one drop tea tree essential oil and a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 200 mL water. Dip a piece of cotton in the mixture and place on the gums for 15–20 minutes.
15. Ulcer – add five drops of lavender essential oil to lukewarm bath water. Take a bath of 15–20 minutes each for a period of 10 days. After that, take one or two baths per week.
16. Toothaches – rinse your mouth with a mixture made from one drop lavender essential oil, one drop tea tree essential oil and a tablespoon baking soda dissolved in 200 mL water. Dip a piece of cotton in the mixture and place on the affected tooth for 15–20 minutes. Also, you may apply a compress on your face dipped in lavender oil mixed with jojoba oil at a 1:5 ratio. You should leave the compress on for 15 minutes.
17. Chills – spread over the affected area a mixture made from a tablespoon of cocoa butter, avocado or olive oil, two drops lemon essential oil and one drop of savory oil.
18. Furunculosis – apply a mixture made from a tablespoon of jojoba or argan oil, three drops of lavender oil, two drops of savory oil and two drops of tea tree oil.
19. Colds or flu – gargle with a mixture made from 200 mL of water in which you dissolve salt, baking soda, honey, two drops of tea tree oil and lemon tree oil, and three drops of lavender, eucalyptus or savory oil.
20. Rheumatism – use a natural cream with juniper, to which you add several drops of lavender essential oil (about one drop to 1 cm³ of cream). Spread on the aching joints twice or three times a day for a month.
21. Otitis – make a mixture from 5 mL jojoba or argan oil, two drops lavender oil, one drop eucalyptus oil and one drop tea tree oil. Dip a piece of cotton into the mixture and insert it into your ear for 30–40 minutes three times the day.
22. Toxic goiter and thyroid malfunctions – add in the aromatherapy diffuser two drops of lavender essential oil for each 2 square meters of the room. Inhale for 15-20 minutes daily for three weeks and then take a one-week break and start the treatment again. You may do three treatments per year. You may also take a bath in which you added 7 drops of lavender essential oil. You should use a treatment of 10-15 baths once a day for 15–20 minutes each. After that, take one or two baths per week. Those who suffer from nodular goiter should not use this treatment.