Recipe # 1
- Boil 1 kg of spruce shoots in 2 liters of water for 15-20 minutes.
- After cooling, add 1 kg sugar dissolved in 1 liter of water.
- Boil the mixture for 5-10 minutes more.
- Strain and pour the hot mixture into hermetically closeable jars or bottles.
- Keep the recipients in a cool and dark place.
- Fill up a glass jar with layers of shoots and sugar.
- The last layer has to be a finger-wide layer of sugar.
- Close the jar hermetically and keep it in a sunny place for 7-10 days.
- Strain the resulting syrup and boil it for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup inro jars and keep the jars in a cool and dark place.
How to use the syrup and what it is good for
- Spruce shoot syrup can be used in a cure by drinking 2-3 teaspoons mixed with water before meals.
- It can be used as a sweetener in hot tea; it has beneficial effects in cases of chronic bronchitis, persistent coughs, tracheitis, pharyngitis, flu, sinusitis and even tuberculosis.
- The syrup stimulates appetite and digestion, treats mental fatigue and strengthens the immune system.
- The syrup reduces excessive craving for sweets in children.
Good to know
- To make spruce shoot syrup, you may use youg shoots or branches that still have a light color.
- The shoots can be collected in April and May.
- To obtain a more interesting color, use brown sugar.