Gazpacho, the tomato soup much loved in Spain, is very easy to prepare. It is served cold with oregano or garlic bread, ideally after a refreshing afternoon nap. This is a true Mediterranean recipe, perfect for hot summer afternoons.
– 1 kg ripe tomatoes
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 medium cucumber
– 1 onion
– ¼ tablespoon ground cumin (optional)
– 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– salt to taste
– ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1 slice of bread
1. Wash and peel the tomatoes, the garlic, the onions and the cucumber and remove the seeds of the pepper.
2. Dip the bread slice into water, squeeze out excess water.
3. Cut the tomatoes, the pepper, the cucumber and the onions into cubes.
4. Place the above ingredients along with the garlic, the bread, the cumin, the oil and the salt into the cup of a blender and mix at the highest speed until you obtain a creamy soup.
5. Add the vinegar, and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
6. Refrigerate the soup for two hours. Serve it cold with oven baked oregano and garlic Crostini bread.