It is recommended to clean out your washing machine once a year to ensure that it will work properly for a long time, and your clothes will come out clean and good-smelling. Spring cleaning is the best time to spend a few minutes on this task.
No matter how careful you are, tiny threads that come off clothing items as well as lime scale will deposit in a thicker and thicker layer on various parts of the machine. These deposits make its work less and less efficient, and they may cause clogging over time. Using environmentally friendly and cheap solutions, your can reverse this process and make the washing machine perfectly clean.
What you will need: vinegar (as high in concentration as possible) or citric acid, baking soda, an old toothbrush and a microfiber cloth.
1. Unplug the washing machine, remove the detergent tray, or clean it with the toothbrush if the tray can’t be removed.
2. Use a sponge dipped in water with vinegar or citric acid added to clean the sides and the buttons of the machine. If the skin on your hand is injured, use rubber gloves. Remove the soaked residues with the microfiber cloth.
3. Plug the machine. Set it to the fullest, hottest and longest washing program.
4. Pour a liter of vinegar or citric acid into the detergent holder or directly into the drum. You can use bleach too, but vinegar is completely environment-friendly.
5. Pour in a cup of baking soda.
6. Start the program, allowing the machine to fill up with water and heat it (about 5-10 minutes).
7. Stop the program before the water is emptied, and let it stay in the machine for at least an hour.
8. Turn the machine back on and let it finish the whole cycle.
9. When the cycle is over, remove the filter and clean it thoroughly.
10. If you have a front load washer, clean the rubber around the door.
11. When not in use, leave the door and the detergent holder slightly open; this way the interior of the machine will never smell bad.
+ 1. It is a good idea to add vinegar to the fabric conditioner at half-and-half ratio. This way, you will protect the washing machine of lime scale deposits, and your clothes will become brighter and they will keep their elasticity and softness. You will notice that the smell of vinegar won’t remain in your clothes after rinsing.